Be a Global Citizen!
Are you curious about global affairs? Do you like learning about different cultures? Check out Youth Diplomats!
WorldChicago Youth Diplomats is an 8-month experiential learning program to equip and empower Chicago teens to be active global citizens.
Youth Diplomats will bring 40 students together once per month to explore topics in global affairs and diplomacy and build essential skills in leadership and cross-cultural communication. You’ll discover college and career options, network with global experts, and do service projects with an international impact. You’ll also learn about the people, culture, and issues of sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East, and Cuba as a Peer Ambassador for WorldChicago exchange students.
**The application window for 2018-2019 year is CLOSED!**
What’s the Commitment?
- Attend 6 of 8 workshops one Saturday per month January–August 2018, including 2 service days
- Meet 3 WorldChicago exchange programs as a greeter, city ambassador, or peer leader
- Produce 1 academic reflection
- Attend 1 WorldChicago citizen diplomacy event
- Create and put into action a small follow-on project
Who Should Apply?
Chicago-area students (including near suburbs) who are:
- Graduating in 2019 or later (i.e. have at least one year of school left)
- Curious about the world and open to diverse perspectives
- Committed to making an impact locally and globally
- Advocates for equality, human rights, and peace
- Excited and able to bring a unique voice to the program
How Much Does It Cost?
- There is no fee to participate in Youth Diplomats
- Participants will receive:
- Lunch and snacks at all meetings
- Admission to WorldChicago events
- Service learning hours
Sample Program Activities
- Introduction to Foreign Policy & Diplomacy
- Global Issues & Country/Culture Explorations
- Peacebuilding & Conflict Resolution Workshop
- Scavenger Hunt & Service Days with Youth Exchange Students
- Public Speaking & Action Planning Workshop
- WorldChicago Spring Diplomacy Luncheon
- Networking with Global Professionals
Full Program Details
Download program flyer below for complete details, requirements, anticipated 2016 schedule, and sample workshop topics. Teachers, please share with your students!
For questions and more information about the program, please email Brian Peckrill, Senior Programs Manager or call 312.254.1800 x100.